Interpreting 101: Skills Building and Ethics for Interpreters
A 15-hour class on the basics of interpreting including 4 evening webinars and a full day workshop.
If you are a member of ITAA, PAMIT, or AMTESOL, use coupon code MEMBER to get $60 off!
This 15-hour training on the basics of interpreting includes
4 evening webinars and one full day workshop.
Webinars: Tuesdays 5:30-7:30 PM
January 15, 22 & 29; February 5, 2019
In-Person Workshop - Choose One Date:
Saturday February 9th
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM- Montgomery, AL
Saturday February 23rd
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM- Gadsden, AL
This 15-hour training will include:
- General overview of interpreting in medical, court and community settings
- Modes of interpretation: consecutive, simultaneous, and sight translation
- Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for legal and medical interpreting
- Skill building and note taking for consecutive interpretation
- Consecutive interpreting practice through role plays
- Options for certification, interpreter associations, and additional resources
- Techniques to resolve challenges encountered while interpreting
This workshop is open to interpreters and bilingual staff in any language and will be conducted in English. Participants should be fully bilingual in English and their target language.
No previous interpreting experience is required.
Melissa Fridlin Murrell has more than 15 years experience as an interpreter in nonprofit, medical, and legal settings. A native of the Southeastern US, she has a BA in Latin American Studies, has lived and worked in Mexico and Central America, and holds a Certificate in Healthcare Interpreting from Samford University in Birmingham, AL. She lives near Montgomery, AL , works as a full-time freelance interpreter and translator, and is the owner of Deep South Language Services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions? Contact us at 334-356-6642 or email@example.com. Hope you can join us!